Tuesday 7 August 2012

DONKEY UPDATE

BON JOUR!

As always apologies for the delay, I am permanently trying to catch up with myself and be disciplined about blogging but it never happens!

Last time, you may recall I asked whether I should give my donkeys a colour wash - thanks for your suggestions.  I made a third donkey a couple of weeks ago and I decided to use a watercolour wash in a pale greyish colour so that it wasn't too coloured.
I made some paniers from a snippet of cloth, as usual from my Rag Rescue stash.  I couldn't for the
life of me decide what to put in the paniers, but, last week whilst I was in France at Les Soeurs Anglaises
for a bijou holiday with Becky, Jone and Oolie I had a sudden flush of inspiration.............. what better than French Lavender?  Mon Dieu! Why didnt i think of it before, I think its perfect, do let me know what you think ..................


I also said I would blog about my second Hens Teeth workshop makes.
On the first workshop made three brooches in total, the first two took most of the day


 Then in the last 10 minutes, I had a flush of inspiration - I love paper and decided to put together scraps of
haberdashery labels and card to make another brooch - it turned out to be my favourite of the day ........

When I went to the second Hens Teeth Haberdashery workshop I decided to continue to explore this theme and here are the results ...............
 
Again in the last 10 minutes I decided to try my hand at a donkey brooch, pinching Viv's glove fingers for ears idea I stitched up this little beauty ................
I finished him off in France last week, tidied up the back, put the pin on and added his eyes, originally he was going to have two press studs but I'd lost one, routing about in my sewing kit I came across the vintage red diamonte - all the girls agreed it was just the ticket!  It would seem that he was never intended to have matching eyes......................... Again it was my favourite of the day!  

I sent the 'saved' brooch to Julie Arkell before I left for France and gave the goldilocks haberdashery brooch to Katie Elliot Armitage and the darning thread one to Dean Spille who had admired Katie's when she took Becky, Jone and Oolie to see him and his lovely wife Billie Spille, I figured Billie could wear it and Dean could look at it, but he did wonder if he could get away with wearing it himself!

Do let me know what you think of my makes, I find your feedback very encouraging!

Oh Yes, here are my delightful Julie Arkell pieces;  'A gentle Stillness', I love Donkeys' and Little Donkey on my recently completed bedroom fireplace, you may also spot the Jennifer Collier lampshade and a couple of Viv, Hens Teeth brooches.  All of which inspire me each night when I go to bed and each morning when I get up.



Love to All
xx Di




16 comments:

  1. What a treat to see your beautiful brooches again Di. I adore 'Red Eyed Donkey' too. He's perfect. So glad you had such a wonderfully creative time in France. Looking forward to our next workshop together...as we definately sing from the same hymn book. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Viv!
      Thanks a million - glad u approve of the finished donkey pin! Looking forward to a good catch up at your September workshop! U provided massive inspiration during our time in
      France! It's remarkable how many loves we share - I treasure your friendship! Xxdi

      Delete
  2. Love your donkeys and wonderful brooches. Just returned from France and a "Julie" workshop=so magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Les seours anglaises is a very special place and Julie is such an inspiration to so many people - she is a true delight and having several days just making
      Is a real luxury isn't it! Hope to see some of The things you made, please let me have details if you blog or email pics if you don't - tinkeringbythesea@googlemail.com
      Xxdi

      Delete
  3. Dear Diane , I'm so happy that I've seen your art IRL,
    fantaboulus and just tickety-boo :)
    XX
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BONJOUR BECKY!!
      THANKS SO MUCH - IT WAS SUCH A PLEASURE TO SPEND SOME TIME WITH YOU. YOU ARE A VERY SPECIAL PERSON - TOTALLY UNIQUE - HOPE THE MONKEY PROJECT GOES WELL!
      XX
      DI

      Delete

  4. Hi Di,

    I was at Les Soeurs for Julie's workshop this July - and adored every minute - I can imagine how much fun you guys would have had there.

    I LOOOVE the little dogs - are they for sale anywhere? Totally gorgeous..

    love
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Denise! I've heard great things about you from becky and
    Katie! Thank you so much for your lovely comment! I just love Julie's classes - stitching as well - but it is the paper
    Mâché that I've pursued more. All the doggies were made for friends
    But if you would like on I could make on for you - or when I post more
    You can choose one - email me on tinkeringbythesea@googlemail.com
    Anytime to discuss. Hopefully we will meet up at a course one day! Xxdi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm here because you and I have a mutual friend, Becky. She and I have know each other for several years now. She posted a donkey that you made and so put you and I together in her dedication for the photo. I too love donkeys. I just concluded an annual blog party which celebrates all things Wizard of Oz. This year I made an altered book with the characters of Oz's faces being replaced with my friends donkeys faces. http://lindaomasoldebaggsnstuftshirts.blogger.com/
    I adore your donkey sculpture. The whimsy the stylization is wonderful.
    Just thought I'd introduce myself to you since we share this donkey bond. As Becky says Donkey is the new black. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS SO MUCH LINDA! ANY FRIEND OF BECKYS IS A FRIEND OF MINE - SHE IS A REMARKABLE WOMAN AND I LOVE THE TIME I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SPEND WITH HER.
      IM SO GLAD YOU LOVE MY DONKEYS! I WILL DEFINITELY CHECK OUT YOUR BLOG AND LET YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK.
      DONKEYS ARE DEFINITELY THE NEW BLACK!
      REGARDS
      DIANE

      Delete
  7. I love your donkeys!!! I found you through Pantry Violets blog..... which I found through Pinterest..... it's all amazing! Off to read more on your blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bless you Linda! thanks for stopping by - unfortunately i havent been able to keep up the blog since i was in France but hopefully i will be able to continue as soon as time allows. please follow me if you are interested in future posts as it is lovely to hear from people and know that someone out there is taking an interest.
      Regards
      Diane

      Delete
  8. how are you doing my old friend? think of you often.....xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Danielle! I'm up and down but I'm dealing with it and adjusting
      - not much time for crafting sadly but I feel I'm starting to make some
      Progress. I hope your business goes well and that your lovely family are
      All doing well and are happy! Loving you lots as ever - I imagine you
      Are busier than ever!!! You will never rust! Xxdi

      Delete
    2. Bless you Danielle! I'm up and down but I'm dealing with it and adjusting
      - not much time for crafting sadly but I feel I'm starting to make some
      Progress. I hope your business goes well and that your lovely family are
      All doing well and are happy! Loving you lots as ever - I imagine you
      Are busier than ever!!! You will never rust! Xxdi

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much Jackson! I'm glad u enjoyed the post and I hope to have time to blog again soon. Regards diane

    ReplyDelete