Thursday 22 March 2012

Julie Arkell - I've Dusted the Farmyard




This month I was lucky enough to be invited to the Private View of Julie Arkell's solo exhibition 'I've Dusted The Farmyard' at Liverpool's Blue Coat Gallery.

It was lovely to catch up with Julie again, and what a joy to see so much of her work - it filled half the gallery space - there must have been getting on for 100 pieces.  I urge all fans of Julie's work to visit if they can, the exhibition runs until 12 May.

For a very long time I've wanted to own one of Julie's paper mache pieces, the range and quality of this work is remarkable, and, having taken her paper mache workshop at West Dean twice, I begin to understand just how difficult it actually is to create the pieces and then dress them! 

Whilst at West Dean this year, and, in order to avoid 'dressing' my creations, I made a couple of donkeys - me being a beach hut person!  I will show you my makes in a future post.  Julie was telling me she'd just done some donkeys herself.  I was delighted to see the donkeys were in Julies exhibition - and needless to say, I now own not 1 but 3 pieces of Julie's paper mache!!! 

Here they are .................

Little Donkey

A Gentle Stillness

And, a little person to look after them .............

I Love Donkeys

I decided whilst I was at the exhibition that I would like to inhabit the world that Julie makes, a gentle whimsical world where life is full of simple pleasures and interesting fragments of fabric and phrases .... what a joy that would be.  

You can see more photos from the exhibition on pantryviolets.blogspot.com 

I have a backlog of blogging to do - future posts will include Ellie Evans Workshop, West Dean - Julie Arkell paper mache workshop and Hens Teeth - Viv's first workshop.

All comments welcome - thanks for coming by.

xxDi


16 comments:

  1. Oh how much fun was that Diane?
    How wonderful to be surrounded by so many of Julie's wonderful, whimsical, quirky and unique makes.

    I would so love to have a look at the exhibition but live just a little tooooo far away.

    How sweet are those little donkeys?

    Claire✿✿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi claire! It was truly fabulous - The donkeys we all amazing I had real difficulty picking what to buy - I wanted to bring it all home! Lots more pics on pantry violets and more to post tomorrow! Sorry u can't make it to Liverpool but at least with the web we can share the joy! Thanks for leaving a comment! Xxdi

      Delete
  2. Hi, I've just found your wonderful blog and I see you love Julie's work as much as I do!!! I'm going to the exhibition of Julie's in April and I can't wait. Would it be awfully rude of me to ask how much her figures are, thanks Lucey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucey! Glad u found my blog! You will so love the range of work available! I think the donkeys were around £170 but there are brooches and tiny figures like the ones I posted on pantry violets (3 in a little row) which were less than the donkeys. A lot of the figures vary between £200 - 350 for larger pieces or in their own boxes. There's a really good mixture and all priced individually. I will be posting more pics on panty violets blog w/c 2.4.12. - I ran out of time today and am off next week.
      Thanks for leaving a comment and please come by again!
      Xxdi

      Delete
  3. Love the donkeys,are they very stubborn? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi becky! I think they might be! They wouldn't come home with me and no matter what said they were staying in Liverpool with their friends til may when the exhibition is over - donkey it seems is a very loyal beast! Xxdi

      Delete
  4. Excellent purchases Di and very fitting. You have a whole donkey kingdom now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taylor! Yes I am gathering a donkey herd together aren't I! I knew u would like my Julie pieces - i will post my Own donkeys soon. They miss you Taylor!

      Delete
  5. Hello lovely Di, I have found you again!..(and am now hopefully a bona fide follower of your blog, technology permitting!)

    However, catching up on your recent news was very sad. I was so sorry to read of your loss. Sorry too to post this here; it seems wrong, but I send much love and peace to you.

    I will write again soon. I just loved all those donkeys and I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

    Take care of yourself, hope the sea gives you solace. Trina xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trina! Thanks so much for finding me again and for your good wishes! Email me anytime on; tinkeringbythesea@googlemail.com
      I missed you at west dean! No dressing required on my makes this time!
      I will post my donkeys next week when I am back at work - on holiday this week!
      Loads of love xxdi

      Delete
  6. Aha, so it is you in the workshop photo on the Hen's Teeth blog! I had been wondering.
    Are you still going to Shetland for Rachel's workshop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI KATHERINE!
      YES IT WAS ME AND IM BACK AT ANOTHER HENS TEETH WORKSHOP ON 28TH APRIL TOO! SO LOVELY JUST TO SIT AND SEW WITH A GREAT GROUP OF WOMEN.
      SADLY, IM NOT GOING TO SHETLAND JUST NEED TO STAY CLOSE TO FAMILY FOR THE NEXT FEW MONTHS BUT DOUBTLESS I WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU BEFORE TOO LONG. XXDI

      Delete
  7. Hi Di,

    Lovely to meet you at the wonderful hens's teeth workshop.

    LLX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HELLO! HOW LOVELY OF YOU TO DROP BY!
      IT WAS GREAT TO MEET YOU TOO, HEAR YOUR STORIES AND SEE YOUR FAMILY COLLAGE PIECE. HOPE TO CATCH UP WITH YOU AGAIN, AND SOON AS IVE A BIT OF TIME WILL BE CHECKING OUT YOUR BLOG. XXDI

      Delete
  8. gorgeous Donkeys Di. Glad you finally own a Julie Arkell (or 3!). I get so many comments when I wear my brooch; she's so unique. What a woman. So jealous I can't do more of Julie's courses. You guys are so lucky.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jo!
      You are right we are very lucky! My donkeys arrived last week
      And a card from Julie do I was doubly spoilt - she is indeed unique
      Hopefully one day u will manage to entice her to australia! Loved your
      Tea towel quilt! Xxdi

      Delete