Friday 28 October 2011

INSPIRATION IS A WONDERFUL THING!

When I was at the Rachel Hazell workshop at Les Soeurs Anglaises in July this year we visited the local brocante warehouse - Ali Baba's.  I found a box of old (and rather moth-eaten) toys which I thought would suit Becky (see Vintage Fairy Tales blog).  Now the 'souvenirs Nicole' would definitely not have suited everyone, however, Becky was delighted by them.


Amongst the souvenirs - can't help thinking there is a tragic little tale behind them - was a Dougal of Magic Roundabout fame - fair enough he had definitely seen better days. Barbara one of the American workshop attendees was horrified by Dougal and amazed, firstly, that I had bought the box, and, having bought it was actually thinking of giving it to a friend!   


I spent many happy days telling Barbara that Dougal was going to be hidden in her room, her case etc.  A couple of days after we returned home, I got an email asking where Dougal was - he was still in France waiting for Becky, but I decided to make Barbara a Dougal of her very own.


Here, is the original Dougal .........
not a very inspiring start you may think - but that of course is the magic of inspiration ........ this is what he and Barbara inspired me to make ...........
I'm really pleased with how he turned out and I'm hoping that Barbara will be happier with my version than she was with the original Dougal!  I sent him off a couple of weeks ago and he has just arrived Stateside.

What do you think?  All comments welcome
xxDI

8 comments:

  1. Oh Diane!!!!!
    I have the original but I would die for this one that you have made!!!!
    You are so clever....and fun:)))))
    Hope you are doing great and that you had a really good workshop, you must tell us everything about it, please!
    Have a look at The Vintage Fairy Tales and see if you can remember this guy....
    Talk soon
    XX
    Your friend Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lovely Becky! Glad u liked paper mâché Dougal! Have just checked out your blog - glad to see one if your 'souvenirs Nicole' turned out to be photogenic - in your hands anyway! Stunning pictures of Sams prize winning bunny in the flower patch - isn't it stunning! Am mailing you today to catch up! Xxdi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd forgotten how disturbing original Dougal was. Paper Dougal is fab! Lucky Barbara. Is his lead a single chain of crochet? And no tricky clothes to sew on - maybe you're on to something there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine!
      Glad you like him - much more appealing than the original. The chain is a very fine linen thread - started with a single chain but went up made the loop and then doubled back to the start so i could tie it on.
      No tricky clothes is definitely best!
      xx
      di

      Delete
  4. DI! I love the little Dougal you made for your friend Barbara!!!
    Sooooooo cute!

    I hope that you and Taylor enjoy one another at Julie's workshop. I wish to be a fly on the wall there.....xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jone! I wish u were coming too, but hopefully we will catch up before too long, glad u like dougal - will post what we make when I get back. Sending much love - you will be with us in spirit! Xxdi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. bless you thanks - look out for a future post on some other dogs i made - this was my first and I had a job parting with it!
      REgards
      diane

      Delete